Compression stockings are an important stage in the complex therapy of varicose veins. However, it is naive to believe that the effect will appear immediately after purchasing the product. It is very important to understand how to wear compression stockings for varicose veins in order to maximize the result. In this matter, the patient should be assisted by the attending physician or manager in a specialized salon.
Effect on varicose veins
Slimming clothing items can boast a high degree of elasticity; is this property used in the fight against varicose veins. However, the proper effect of ordinary socks or tights is not noticed, as they are not created for medical purposes.
Varicose veins - dilation and deformation of blood vessels, leading to blood stagnation and further formation of blood clots and clots. Socks against varicose veins have a strong effect on the lower extremities, providing pressure of varying intensity, due to which the veins in the legs narrow.
Size is determined by measuring the circumference of the feet at certain points and the length (foot, ankle, foot, knee, and thigh) so that the disappearance compression graph is equal.
Artificial treatment of pathology allows you to create difficult blood circulation through the vessels, gradually restoring the internal pressure. It is important that the unique structure of the shirt does not obstruct the flow of air, thus not creating problems for the skin.
The product does not remove the root causes of the disease, however, it helps keep the blood vessels in good condition and is used to prevent varicose veins. The benefits and harms of the product are explained in the meeting with a phlebologist.
Classification of socks and rules for their selection
According to the diversity of species, compression stockings are divided into:
- in silicone rubber;
- on a medical belt with Velcro;
- with open finger.
Also, compression stockings vary in size, measurements are performed at a specialized center before you buy a product:
- Thigh circumference at 25-30 cm above the knee.
- Calf perimeter of the widest part of the gastrocnemius muscle.
- The perimeter of the ankle is slightly above the bone at the thinnest spot.
|Size / Measures||S||M (2)||L (3)||XL (4)|
On the use of yarns in the composition:
- of elastane;
- from microfiber.
According to the degree of compression:
- First class 18–21 mm Hg. Art. You can wear socks as a preventative measure for patients at risk of developing varicose veins. For example: pregnant women, workers "on foot", at the first slightest symptoms of pathology.
- Class II 23-32 mmHgArt. The most popular varieties used to treat varicose veins and thrombophlebitis in humans.
- Third grade 32-46 mm Hg. Art. It is prescribed for clothing with advanced or complicated vascular disorders.
- Fourth grade 49 mm Hg. Art. Used very rarely, it is indicated for violations of the flow of lymphatic fluid.
The classification is submitted for consideration, as only a physician or a specially trained manager at an orthopedic center can select the appropriate compression stockings for varicose veins.
Rules for wearing socks
How to properly wear compression stockings:
- You should wear the product only in the morning after waking up.
- To avoid obstacles to freedom, you need to monitor the length and sharpness of the nails.
- In socks, you do not need to sit often so that the knee area does not stretch.
- Socks should be worn with thin socks to protect against damage and friction of the fabric on the heel.
- To maintain the desired compression and healing properties, socks should be washed daily.
- How long you will wear compression stockings will be determined by your doctor. The fact is that the timing of socks depends on the degree of damage to the blood vessels.
Properly selected underwear with proper use will last up to six months for their owner.
Wearing compression underwear is much more difficult than choosing them:
- It is necessary to put your hand on the sock and grab the heel.
- Without releasing it, return the product from the inside to the heel, leaving a small "pocket".
- Place the foot and pull the sock across the foot with both hands.
- Gradually extend the inverted part to the middle of the ankle.
- Gradually tighten the sock, pulling it up with your thumbs.
- We fix the silicone belt on the thigh.
- Pull the toe to release the big toe from tension.
Many patients buy a special device for placing compression products - a servant. A sock is fixed on it, and after that a foot has already been pushed. In case of difficulty, gloves for compression knit garments will help; you can buy them in an orthopedic salon.
One of the main tasks of compression stockings is to establish the proper functioning of the venous system.
Rules for the care of socks
Five golden rules:
- Wash the products daily to restore the degree of compression.
- Machine washing is prohibited - hand washing only!
- Only baby soap is used, chemical ingredients in the powder can damage the yarn structure.
- Drying on the street, dryer and in the car is prohibited. It is necessary to spread the product on a dry towel on the table.
- For those who wear socks all the time, experts advise washing them yourself. Coat with soap, rinse thoroughly with water and pat dry with a towel.
Manufacturers of socks and patient reviews
What are the best compression stockings for varicose veins:
- German manufacturer. The high cost is justified by the excellent quality of the product. Many different styles, long-term storage of compression, footwear are the advantages of the products.
- Italian manufacturer. The main advantage is reasonable cost and excellent quality. You can choose a product "according to your portfolio" without compromising its medicinal properties.
- Compression underwear from Italy. In the price segment, this has no equal; socks can be chosen based on personal preferences and medical indications. However, there is a significant drawback - the compression qualities do not last more than a month.
- Swiss manufacturer. A brand with very high prices, but also excellent quality. Consumption resistance and preservation of compaction properties is possible throughout the year.
- Spanish brand. According to customer reviews, the compression effect is manifested to a greater extent than others in other brands.
The reviews for each brand are mostly positive. The only major drawback is the cost of socks. Patients notice good air circulation in each product, as they have to wear compression stockings for a long time.
Many buyers praise and thank orthopedic salon staff, as choosing the right compression stockings is the most important step in treating varicose veins.
Some buyers complain that the silicone rubber starts to slip under the foot or spin over the summer. In this case, the problem is not in the product itself, but in the wrong size. When purchasing, it is very important to take into account all the measurements taken to anticipate such incidents in advance.
Where to buy and what are the prices?
You can buy the product in specialty stores of well-known brands, on the official websites of manufacturers or in orthopedic salons in the city. Buying goods "by hand" is not recommended.
The price of the products is quite high, this is explained by the composition of the knitted garment and the procedure of its production. Before you buy, study the manufacturer's certifications to make sure the product is of good quality.